Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Veteran's Week

Last week was very interesting because I found out a lot about the experiences of war veterans. I first saw the movie Platoon, which gave me the impression that most soldiers that served in Vietnam had no mercy and it gave a bad impression of them. When my class and I spoke to Vice President Katopes who was a platoon leader in Vietnam, he said that the movie was a bad representation of the soldiers that served in Vietnam. Oliver Stone was the director of Platoon and he was also a platoon leader in Vietnam, which gave his movie a lot of credibility. I also saw a few short documentaries called digital stories which were directed by Veterans from Vietnam and World War Two.
I found this interesting because I got a first hand look at the experiences of these men and woman. I found that I have more respect for soldiers now because I saw a small glimpse of what they went through. Personally I don’t agree with Oliver Stone’s depiction of a soldier’s life in Vietnam because I am sure that not every soldier was a pot head or a stone cold killer.

No comments: