Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Museum of natural history

Last week part of my classwork was to go to the museum of natural history and find out as much as I could on climate change and the effect that greenhouse gases have on the climate. I arrived at the museum at a little after 10:30 and met up with my class. We worked in groups of three which worked well because there was a good amount of information to cover. WE had already watched an inconvenient truth by Ale Gore wich gave us some insight on the effect of global warming. There were many interesting samples in the museum that showed us how weather changes over time by the effect that they had on the tree , ice and ocean sediments samples.
What a I found really interesting was a tree core from the Tarvagatay montain of Mongolia which served as a climate record. The way this works is that tree rings are sensitive indicators of annual climate. Thick rings indicate rapid growth during warmwet years. Thin rings indicate slow growth which means that the tree was growing during cold dry years. by matching overlapping sequences from progressively older trees a complete tree ring chronology can be extended back thousands ofyears. A single tree, however records only climate. To establish the regional climate many trees fro various localities must be examined.
There are also many ice records that show buried and recrystallized layers of ice that occur every year. Some of the air between the snow flakes is trapped as bubbles in the ice. The sample that I saw was the middle core sample. It was 1,689 meters deep and it was 10,078 bc years old. This sample was foind in the mis 1800's and it showed that since it was found Co2 levels have risen.
There was a video in that I saw at the museum that I found very interesting which stated that by removing all human population growth and fuel use the earth would be able to fix itself and in 75 years the Co2 levels would return to industrial times. Visitng the museum was very interesting and I learned a lot of information on the cause and effect of global warming. I visited the museum many times before but I never stoped to pay any attention to the global warming section that was there but because of this assignment I spent more time there than I would usually which is good because it was helpful.

No comments: